Monday, January 21, 2008

(singing) "I'm leaving, on a jet plane.....

...don't know when I'll be back again..." Well, I hope to be back on February 14, but since we've been told to pack an extra week's supply of medications or other essentials, who knows? After all, I'm going soon to a place where one doesn't run out to the nearest pharmacy or grocery or convenience store ...a place so remote the only roads are the ones used by scientists at their mostly tiny research stations...a place so remote the number of humans setting foot on it still only numbers in the thousands, not the millions...a place so remote there are no souvenir shops, no monuments for tourists to gawk at, no famous buildings or bridges or ritzy restaurants, no traffic, no smog, and, other than those associated with the natural world, no sounds...virtually total silence. I wish I could also add there is no pollution, but alas, mankind has managed to pollute to some degree even the remotest place on earth.

Yep, you guessed it, I'm heading down under, waaaaayyyy down under, all the way to Antarctica!

For many years I've been fascinated by the thought of enormous icebergs, ice shelves extending as far as the eye can see, penguins tame enough to touch (except you must NOT touch), and all the other interesting and unique phenomena associated with the great icy continent, one and a half times as large as the United States and uninhabited, except for the intrepid scientists who come and go. I had checked out trips on line and found them either prohibitively expensive and/or too lengthy, extending to three or four weeks or longer.

Then, unexpectedly, early last November a newsletter from an organization called Natural Habitat came into my hands: "Classic Antarctica Expedition--Small group expedition of the Last Frontier!" Sounded interesting so I called the 800 number. The time was right, the money was right, and when I said, "Sign me up!", the tour coordinator informed me I was booking the last female double cabin on the ship! It was as if it were meant to be!

I called my local pet travel agent to book the requisite flights, and lo and behold, I got the last coach seats on the flights to and from Miami/Buenos Aires, the first and last legs of the journey. Now I knew it was meant to be!

The tour coordinator put me in touch with my future cabin mate, who happens to be a woman my daughter's age who is a professional astronomer and amateur thespian! I was charmed before I ever heard from her, and even more charmed after I did. I think we'll be excellent cabin mates. In addition, prior to heading further south, we're sharing a room for one evening in Buenos Aires, planning to "do the town" that night. We already have reservations at a Tango Dinner Theater club! Whoo hoo!

I leave for Miami January 31st, and I'm already nearly packed. I had to start packing early to be certain I could squeeze in all the fluffy fleece garments I'm taking. There are still a few items to add, plus the last minute things, and then I'll be ready to roll.

More later on getting ready to go south.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh..That is so cool..you have to take lots of pictures..And journal on paper..I'm so excited for you Vennie..Have loads and oodles of fun..

Beth said...

I think your nickname should be "Adventurous Vennie"!!! You are the adventurous one!! I think it's great!!! I'm just a little jealous!! LOL

Have a wonderful time!!!

Hugs and love - Beth

hot tamale said...

Like I've said, you've got spunk! Safe travels my friend and cant wait to hear about all the adventures that wait for you
love
Becky

Laura said...

Remember, do not touch the Penguins. Do not touch the Penguins. Do not...

Ah, they're only Nuns in disguise. Still, you can't touch them, but be careful of your hands. I hear they have rulers.