Friday, July 11, 2008

Blessed event




Early in June my daughter, who lives in northern Florida and has all kinds of animals, called me all excited.


"I just found out my horse is pregnant!"

She got her horse, an Appaloosa named Dusty, in November of last year. Horse gestation periods are 11 months, so the person she bought the horse from didn't realize Dusty was expecting either.


"I could see she was getting fatter," Kim told me, "but this morning when I went out and looked at her I could see all the 'fat' was in her belly and I could swear I saw a hoof poking up!"

As it happened the ferrier was due later in the day to trim Dusty's hooves and he confirmed she she was indeed a mother-to-be. "Not only that, it's going to be any day now," he told Kim.

The very next day she called me. "We've got a baby!!!!"



Baby's name is Penelope and she and her Mom are both doing well, I'm told. I'll be going down in August to see them, so I'll get to know the newest member of my family soon.

Isn't she adorable?????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful Vennie..Enjoy your visit next month..I miss you!!!

hot tamale said...

Ahhhhhhhh how cute!! Congratulations to your newest little member
love ya
Becky

Laura said...

She's absolutely beautiful!

I'd say she's so adorable that I could eat her up, but - ahem - I think horsemeat is illegal in the United States.

She looks like her mother!

Claudia said...

OMG! Vennie! She is so beautiful. Congrats on the new member of the family.