Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Birthday Bash

Yesterday, March 5, was my mother's 94th birthday. The years are gradually taking their toll, but all things considered, Mom does really well. She has an apartment in an assisted living center about 5 miles from where I live, so I can get there in 10 minutes if I need to.

When I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said, "A cookbook! The kind that has all the basic stuff in it." I found a like-new Betty Crocker "Introduction to Cooking" at a local used book store, and Mom said it was exactly what she had in mind. Although meals are provided at the facility in a common dining room, Mom does most of her own cooking, including making dinner every Tuesday night for my bachelor nephew, who lives in the same town. The kitchen in her apartment is tiny, but she's always been a good cook and manages quite well.


Last night we went to her favorite restaurant, Applebee's. Two friends of ours met us there, and we had a wonderful meal.


I have no idea why it is when I tell Mom to smile she almost always ends up looking like she just ate a sour apple. She's wearing a silk blouse I brought her a few years ago when I went to Bangkok.








A cooperative waiter took this one of all of us. Wow, she almost smiled!
I waited until we were almost ready to leave to do the pictures and tell the waiter what the special occasion was, because I didn't want him to summon the birthday singers. Mom would have died of embarrassment!
After dinner I took Mom back to her apartment, where we were greeted by her two cats, Peaches and Pumpkin. Too late, I realize I should have taken their pictures too. Another time, perhaps.
I feel very fortunate to still have my Mom around and in relatively good shape and in good spirits. She keeps busy reading and watching TV, especially St. Louis Cardinal baseball and NASCAR. She's a rabid Jeff Gordon fan and has pictures, posters and other "No. 24" memorabilia all over the apartment. Just outside the apartment livingroom window she has three bird feeders which my nephew fills for her. She loves watching the various birds that come to the feeders, especially the hummingbirds. I think Peaches and Pumpkin like watching the birds as well.
Aren't I lucky to still be someone's "little girl"?

1 comment:

hot tamale said...

Oh Vennie, your Mama would ask when is my plane leaving if I came for a visit. I wouldnt be able to get enough of hugs and snuggle her neck, she reminds me of my Grandma(I think its the hair & glasses) I noticed the table next to you, four young studs next to four American beauties!! And yes, you are lucky your Mama is in good shape :)
love you
Becky